TOOLS YOU NEED:
- Pencil and tape measure
- Jack plane
- Thickness planer
- Edge jointing plane
- Combination square
- Double edged saw
- Power jigsaw
- Two chisels
- Big and small clamps
- Socket wrench for the bolts
- Plug cutter
MATERIALS YOU NEED:
- Cedar wood or any equivalent wood type
- Weather resistant wood glue
- 1” long Wood Screws
- 2” long Wood Screws
- 3” long, 1/2” thick nut with bolt
- Weather resistant wood filler
- Weather resistant wood varnish
- 220 grit sandpaper
- 90 grit sandpaper
- Weather resistant varnish
Cutting Shapes and Bevels
Use the jigsaw to cut the curves and the handsaw straight edges. Use the planer to smoothen rough surfaces and sharp edges.
- Start assembling the seat by putting together the top and bottom rails with the back rest slats.
- Beginning with the middles slat, space each slat at 1/2” in between.
Add the Legs
- Attach the left front leg to the left rear leg and do the same for the right legs.
- Brace both set of legs using the back rest. Constantly make sure that the distance between the rear leg is the same for the front and the back.
- Attach a wide seat slat as far back as possible. Make sure to square it with the left and right rear legs. With 1” spacing between slats, add 3 more wide slats until the rear legs start to taper towards the front.
- Position another wide seat slat at the bottom front end of the rear legs. Make sure to square between the legs and attach.
- Using the narrow seat slat, fill in the gap between the vertical and horizontal slats. Make sure to even the distance between slats.
- Position the right arm on top of the right front leg. Position the rear end of the arm atop the top back rail. Make sure to level the front end with the rear end and attach.
- Square the right front leg with the attached right arm and attach the right arm bracket making sure it’s square when perpendicular to the ground.
- Do the same with the left arm.
- Sand-out any rough surfaces with a rough grit sandpaper and remove excess wood splinters off using your chisel.
- Wipe off sand paper dust and clean all of the surfaces and corners.
- Using a soft brush, apply a weather resistant wood varnish. Let to dry and repeat until the desired result.
Want to use this infographic on your site?